I wish that I could tell you I knew it all when it comes to losing weight and getting fit. One thing I do know is that the weight loss industry is, in many ways, a massive scam. There are no magic pills that will make you look like Alessandra Ambrosio, there is no magic ab device that you attach to your belly and BOOM! SIX PACK! Believe me. I have TRIED it all. I am 99% sure my adrenals are still recovering from the whole ephedrine craze of my life.
Here is what I have learned, over the course of losing and gaining and losing the same 40 damn pounds over and over again. (That ends now, btw)
1. You cannot, and I stress this CANNOT, gym/workout your way through a bad diet. My most successful weight loss was 100% diet. For two solid months I focused on eating very clean and doing minor workouts. We are talking yoga and walking. Running took a back seat, weight training was bye-bye from my schedule. I was eating really well (with the occasional slip up) and still passed a weight loss plateau that I never thought I could get past. I DID IT, without killing myself in the gym.
2. Deprivation doesn’t work. I have done many a “cleanse” and “fasts” or “only eat pretzels and drink diet coke” and sure – at first you drop major LBS. But it is not sustainable. Often these few days or max a week was followed by a total meltdown that involved an entire pizza or 6 donuts (tops only, gimme that frosting!!!) Sure some things need to go, and maybe for a while as you sort your life out and learn to manage binge eating an entire Papa John’s medium pizza paired with 3 of the garlic sauces. But total deprivation leads to total failure, for me at least.
3. Get you some support. I am SO lucky to work where I do. It has changed my life in many ways. I work at a Naturopathic clinic in Vancouver and since joining the team I have been supported by a wonderful ND named Dr. Leah, and a nutritionist named Keyrsten. Oh and not to mention the lab team that keeps me full of IV vitamins and the dispensary which keeps me supplied with a steady stream of Brain Octane Oil. Having support and having people aware of your goals that can help you get there is HUGE. If you live in Vancouver, and are looking for some alternative help – come visit us! (www.integrative.ca) I am not getting paid to plug them. I love the place and think the people there do truly good work for my health.
4. Don’t work out if you don’t want to. Guess what, you don’t have to work out. As I laid out in point numero 1, I lost a ton of weight on diet alone. I went from killing myself in the gym (while eating poorly, mind you) or on long ass runs (which I am still amazed I did) to just walking and yoga – and still dropped major weight. If you don’t love working out, don’t do. Don’t kill yourself doing something that doesn’t bring you joy. Here is the thing, for me…it DOES bring me joy. Sure the initial process of getting on workout clothes, getting up early, blah it sucks. But once I am up, I AM UP. And after a workout, I feel AMAZING. I am like “watch out, Gal Gadot, I am coming for your WonderWoman role!” (LOL. Dream on, Alexandra!) Do it cause you love your body, not because you hate it. (Pretty sure someone said that and since it has been lost in the internet world and they will never get credit. Sorry, nameless person.)
5. Pizza is my life. I love it. At my sister’s wedding in Mexico earlier this year, I LOST weight. And not because I didn’t eat – but I found that if I wasn’t eating pizza I was like “wtf is the point.” I literally was eating because I needed fuel, or to sober up. I was not eating just to eat, because I only do that with pizza. It is only worth it with pizza. So, basically if I stay away from pizza I will be super fit. BUT I LOVE IT! So, I just do not have it all the time. When we do have it – I eat a lot of it. And I enjoy the hell out of it. It is my food. I know everyone is all “oh I love pizza,” ya sure, it is the best we all “love it.” But I an obsessed. Enthralled. It is my lobster, if you will.
So there ya go. What I have learned. And I am still learning. Today I started up Jillian Michaels 60 day “BodySHRED” and I am really hoping I can stick to it for 60 days…and in 60 days, you will learn if I did or not. Let’s be serious, the way I blog – I won’t be posting for another 60 days anyway 😉